Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Week 3


Assignment: Mash up an Lincoln-era photo that we collected last week with one of our own photographs,also collected last week.




Craft: To create our mash-ups, we used photoshop. I photoshopped Abraham Lincolns face and head onto the body and face of a street musician in Paris that I photographed this past summer. We learned to use a lot of techniques and tools that go along with photoshop,the main ones being transformations, selections, and layers. We also looked at brightness/contrast and hue/saturation. My photoshop skills definitely need work.

Composition: As pointed out in Monday's critique, the thing I've been struggling with in terms of composition, is getting Lincoln's face/head to line up with the original man's head. It is hard to do that without the original guys neck being covered,which looks awkward. Other than that, I'm pretty excited about my first attempt at photoshop. My composition will hopefully improve with work.

Concept: My concept for this photo mash-up is two fold. First, what would Abe Lincoln be like if he had been born in our times,in a place such as Paris? He could very well be a street musician. Abe was a bit of a rebel and followed his own path,much like this musician did. Secondly, Abe Lincoln was one of the first celebrity presidents, if you will. I think if he were around today he would reach rock star/ celebrity status, and this image sort of conveys that.

No comments:

Post a Comment